Kathy in San Jose graciously sent me photos of my Rivendell socks that she took at Sock Summit. If you click on the photo it will take you to the larger photo at Flickr so you can see the sock information (if you can’t please let me know and I will see what I have to do to make that happen). I will clarify here that the yarn information was listed incorrectly. It should be Dream in Color Starry in the Grey Tabby colorway.
I’m really hoping they’ll find some way to get all the socks from the Sock Museum photographed and the information logged so that those of us who were unable to get to Sock Summit can get a good view of it, too.
Did anyone who went to Sock Summit 2009 go to the Sock Museum? Did you see my Rivendell socks? Did they look like they were having a good time? I thought it was pretty cool to find my Rivendells amongst the photos The Oregonian took of the event (the slideshow is halfway through the article).
I’m liking the Monkey socks I’m knitting for my sister. The pattern was super easy to memorize, and the colors are working really well with the simple lace. It’s also knitting up very quickly. The Laminaria shawl is slightly on-hold, meaning I just haven’t felt up to knitting it while watching TV the last few nights.
My 30 days of exercise project is almost over — tomorrow is day 30! The Monterey Wool Auction is on Sunday and I’m looking forward to see what fleeces are there this year. I think I will probably be continuing the exercise going forward. I have finally gotten to a point that while I still feel hot and sweaty afterwards, I also feel refreshed. And let me tell you, the biggest bonus is my clothes are fitting looser.
The Rivendell socks were finished Friday night. I washed and blocked them overnight and put them in the mail to the Sock Museum Saturday afternoon. The USPS says they were delivered yesterday morning.
Yarn: Dream in Color Starry in Grey Tabby, used about 250 yds
Needles: 2 Hiyahiya circs, size US 2.5, 20″ long
Gauge: 7.5 sts/in in stockinette stitch, 9.5 sts/in in Ktbl, P2 ribbing
These were a pretty fast knit, and I probably would have been done with them way sooner if I had worked on them consistantly. The clustered stitches at the top were a new technique for me, but really interesting to do. I find the horizontal effect they make a nice addition to the pattern. However, it should be noted that they do make the cuff of the sock a little less stretchy than the rest of the ribbing. Some people might find this slight restriction annoying; it doesn’t bother me very much, although if I were to knit these again, I may try to find a way to combat it.
Unfortunately, neither of my photos picks up the silver thread in the yarn very well. When you can see it, it adds a nice little sparkle, which I thought would be a nice effect for socks named after Rivendell. The subtle shading of the colorway didn’t detract from the pattern at all. I did love how the yarn became nice and soft after washing it.
I hope my socks have tons of fun at the Sock Summit in my stead. And I hope that everyone who’s going get a chance to see my socks.