Little Sailor Girl’s sleeves were relatively easy. I knit both at the same time to ensure they were the same length and the like. Then, I had to rip one of them back to the end of the increase section because I had dropped a stitch and left it behind for 6 inches. So, I finished the sleeve that was good to clear it off the needle before ripping back on the other.
I washed and gently blocked the body as I was finishing the sleeves so that it would be ready for the next step. And here is where I must say that I am quite proud of myself. 🙂 Because I had the shoulders and the neckline to join together, I decided to do it all together. (And here is where I say I regret not just picking up the collar stitches from the back’s neckline to prevent one more seam, and I think it would probably lay a bit better.) I used snipettes of waste yarn to tie together the shoulders at 3 matching points – beginning of shoulder, middle of should where the second cast off section began (i.e., the step of the shoulder), and the end of the should at the neckline. I found the center of the cast on collar stitches and the center of the cast off back neck line stitches, and taking a long piece of matching yarn, used half the yarn to stitch on half of the seam and the other half of the yarn to do the second half of the seam. So what, you’re thinking, it’s a woven seam. Yes, but this one changed right sides twice and the center section joined right side of stockinette stitch to reverse stockinette. *dance of celebration*
So, body is joined together and the sleeves are gently blocking. Next is the border… oh, border.